Sunday, October 12, 2008

Kimball on Christopher Buckley

I thought that the attempt by Christopher Buckley, son of William F., to justify his planned vote for Obama was rather thin gruel. I had a long response in the comments at the site that posted the article which, if I could boil it down to one phrase, would be the Samuel Johnson chestnut (spoken about second marriages): the triumph of hope over experience.

Roger Kimball does far greater justice to the task of critiquing Christo (I can't call him "Buckley"; that one word appellation belongs only to his dad, RIP). I share his reaction that it sure is curious that he places so much weight on Obama's supposed literary prowess, when there is no evidence of such before Dreams from My Father. Not having read it, I am not in a position to critique it, but Kimball isn't all that impressed by the merits of DFMF anyway. But what if he didn't write it? I think the linked not-so-crazy analysis of the book suggests that maybe he didn't.

And that brings me to some fanciful speculation: what if Christopher Buckley knows that Obama didn't write the book, and his column is part of a set-up? Crazy, perhaps, but with everything else that has been going on, not completely out there?

No comments: