Sunday, October 19, 2008

Blogging in Paradise








I don't know 'bout you, but as we get closer to Election Day, the quality of my sleep deteroriates exponentially. As we learn more about the horror that is Obama, my normally uninterrupted nocturnal patterns have definitely lost their restorative quality.

Writing this blog helps tremendously of course, as does volunteering for the campaign, attempting to educate the genuinely uniformed on both McCain and Obama's positions (as I did for nearly an hour on the phone yesterday) and of course, publicizing my new book.

Oh, and I've lost fifteen pounds on Nutri System after struggling for the last few years! Only 10 more to go and I'll be all set.

Last, but certainly not least, I live in a beautiful place, and am surrounded by incredible people in the form of family and friends.

These are the things I remind myself of when overcome with a terrible case of What if Obama wins???

And while I hate even entertaining that thought, perplexed, stunned and dismayed by my fellow Americans who are behaving more like irrational groupies than concerned citizens, I know that there is a very good chance (gulp!) they will sweep him into office in pure ignorance of the dire consequences.

So just for today (or maybe even just a few hours), I want to focus on the good things in life. We can write blogs, inform others, volunteer for and contribute money to worthy campaigns, put out yard signs, sign petitions, listen to talk radio, etc., and still in the end, this race will come down to a small percentage of folks who haven't even paid attention until two months ago (if that), and don't even possess the conviction to study up on each major party and then register with the one with whom they identify the most. Ah, the perils of democracy!

Remember when Glenn Beck used to play the "birthday cake" song on the radio whenever the subject matter at hand got too upsetting? In that spirit, I posted the above photos of Ginger the cat, me at my friend Tre's house celebrating my weight loss, and a lovely scene from my South Florida community.

No comments: