Sunday, September 7, 2008

No, I didn't coin a new phrase (drat!)

Turns out that a commenter on a female body-builder calendar (or maybe it's a book - I didn't stick around long enough to discern the difference - not my cuppa Joe, ifyouknowwhudImean) used the term muscular femininity before I did.

Okay, then, how about this? Steve Forbes, to my recollection, referred to "muscular conservatism", differentiating the confident, forward-thinking, pro-growth, pro-patriotism conservatism that he espouses from the dreary, isolationist paleo-conservatism of yore. I don't have the whole picture on Palin just yet, but her record bespeaks a reform conservatism that seeks to realize ideals rather than maintain the status quo, a forward thinking about energy that is grounded in the realities of the real world, a hope for the future that fuddy-duddy conservatism can't quite conjure.

And so I will try again to coin a new phrase to characterize Palin: How about "Muscular Conservatism with Lipstick"?

1 comment:

Daria said...

I think "with lipstick" sounds better. Other than that, I like it!