Thursday, September 25, 2008

Brief baseball diversion

I watched the Braves telecast of the Phils stinking up the joint, which put me in a bad mood. Then I switched over to the Mets-Cubs in time to see that the Mets had put their first batter in the 9th inning on third base with no one out (not sure if it was a triple or involved stolen bases and/or errors, but whatever). David Wright, whom I would love if he weren't a Met, then K'd swinging. The Cubs intentionally walked two batters to get to Ryan Church, who grounded sharply to the drawn-in second baseman, who threw home to force the lead runner. A strikeout ensued, and the lump in the collective throats of the Mets and their fans was no smaller than that Big Apple prop they have out behind the outfield fence.

I later saw Derek Lee bloop a double over first base to score the go-ahead run in the 10th, and then, while I think I had switched over to some political show, a 2-run blast made the score 9-6. I just had to watch the Mets go meekly in the bottom of the inning, which they did.

Two years in a row, two blown leads. They are in danger of not merely blowing the division again, but are now tied for the wild card - and my money is on the Brewers. If the NY Post hasn't used it already, I think they should dub them the "Melts".

PS: I may be enjoying the schadenfreude of another Met Melt, but the Phillies better get their act in gear too.

No comments: