Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Is Jersey Going GOP?

Another day, another reliably blue state transitions to purple. I knew this wasn't a typical election season, but come on now, New Jersey? Well, yes, according to the latest Quinnipiac poll:

Fueled by a surge of support from white voters, Republican Sen. John McCain has narrowed a 10-point gap and now trails Democratic Sen. Barack Obama 48 - 45 percent among New Jersey likely voters, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released today.

This compares to a 51 - 41 percent Sen. Obama lead in an August 13 poll by the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University.

With all due respect to a state I spent a good portion of my life vacationing in, this is just unbelievable news. I mean, we're talking about citizens who voted into office people like Jim McGreevey, Jon S. Corzine, Frank Lautenberg and Robert Menendez. Guess I'll remain cautiously optimistic as my gut instinct says the Garden State will dangle the carrot, only to snatch it back in November, but just the mere fact that it's a close race must be giving Obama agita. And that's certainly worth celebrating!

No comments: