Friday, September 19, 2008

Cryin' in their Cosmopolitans

The Sex and the City set is positively hysterical over Sarah Palin. Seems the self-absorbed sisters just can't accept the reality of a happily married, successful working mother who also happens to hold tight to her conservative, Christian values. In fact, the very notion of the first female Vice-President hailing from small-town America and not some elite metropolitan enclave has apparently whipped up more than enough violent rage, vitriol, and condescension to keep them on the psychiatrist's couch from now through at least November 4. And judging from this New York Sun article, no amount of retail therapy at Marc Jacobs or Fendi is going to soothe the frazzled nerves of these cosmopolitan goddesses:

"All of my women friends, a week ago Monday, were on the verge of throwing themselves out windows," an author and political activist, Nancy Kricorian of Manhattan, said yesterday. "People were flipping out. ... Every woman I know was in high hysteria over this. Everyone was just beside themselves with terror that this woman could be our president — our potential next president."

Ms. Kricorian allowed that she was among those driven to distraction, upon occasion, by Mrs. Palin's nomination. "My Facebook status last Monday was, 'Nancy is freaking out about Sarah Palin yet again,'" the writer said.

A posting on a New York-based Web site for women, Jezebel.com, spoke of unbridled anger. "What I feel for her privately could be described as violent, nay, murderous, rage," an associate editor at Jezebel, Jessica Grose, wrote just after the Republican convention wrapped up. "When Palin spoke on Wednesday night, my head almost exploded from the incandescent anger boiling in my skull."

Ms. Grose was not alone. More than 700 comments poured in, many from women who said they were experiencing a visceral hostility to Mrs. Palin that they were struggling to explain.

"When I see people crowing about her 'acceptable' speech last Wednesday ... I literally want to vomit with rage," a comment from Anibundel said.

"I am shocked by the depths of my hatred for this woman," another commenter, CJWeimar, wrote

I'd like to say I'm shocked, but alas, I'm not. I am however, utterly disgusted and more importantly, deeply concerned for the safety and wellbeing of Sarah Palin and her family. Just let the words sink in as you read this article -- angry establishment feminists have revealed not only breathtaking hypocrisy but unabashed moral repugnance. If I didn't know the source of these quotes, I'd guess they were emanating from the frothing mouth of a radical, misogynistic Muslim preparing to blow away the brains of a discarded wife or a daughter who'd brought "dishonor" upon her family for some stupid "offense," like socializing with a male infidel.

Get over yourselves, girls. Real women like Sarah are here to stay; America can be thankful for that.

And just for the record, I've never watched a single episode of Sex and the City. If I want to witness excessive female self-absorption in action, all I have to do is drive around my neighborhood.

No comments: