Sunday, November 9, 2008

Water Signs Party












Like most of the Palin-Drone audience (save for our resident troll), I am dismayed, worried, disgusted and frightened by the results of our election. Frankly, I am still pretty depressed about it and plan to continue fighting for freedom and America as we've known it until common sense returns to the land. Part of that effort will involve educating people about the Constitution, capitalism, the three branches of government and the real causes of the economic meltdown (which we have all repeatedly spelled out on this blog).

However, I've also come to realize that life still goes on, and it is still good. This year, I finally achieved a lifelong dream of becoming a novelist, with the publication of my first book, Water Signs: A Story of Love and Renewal. To celebrate, two of my dearest friends threw a party last night in my honor, attended by others I am blessed to call good friends. Next to my family, these relationships have impacted my life in the most positive, uplifting ways. The fact that so many have demonstrated such genuine interest in my work and admiration for my accomplishment has only deepened my appreciation not only for this great country, but for all of the opportunities it represents.

As I looked around the room, I noticed folks of different races, religions and ethnicities, all interacting, laughing and conversing with one another. There were no distinctions made in terms of superficial characteristics, no barriers to the enjoyment of a truly memorable evening. We were all just Americans who happened to be friends and acquaintances, getting together to celebrate another's success.

Contrary to the media narrative, most Americans are decent people, who choose their close associations based on character, not skin color. That's the country I know; that's the real America. And no matter who is in the White House, I will always love the USA.

Finally, a very special thank you to Theresa and Kathy for putting this all together, and to everyone who attended, listened, bought a copy of the book and offered genuine support. You're the best!







No comments: