Sunday, November 2, 2008

Fighting for Freedom in Boca Raton









The local McCain-Palin victory office in Boca Raton held a rally/walk on this beautiful Sunday afternoon -- the last one before our country's fate is determined this coming Tuesday. I don't know about you, but this entire election season has been an exhausting roller-coaster ride, filled with exhilarating highs (e.g. the day Sarah was announced as VP) and incredibly depressing lows (e.g. the criminal media, the willful ignorance of the average Obama voter and the chilling propsect of a Marxist occupying the White House).

Although active volunteerism through blogging, talking to friends, sharing information and signing up to help out at the polls on Election Day has helped channel my nervous energy, this past month has been characterized by sleepless and/or sleep-interrupted nights and palpable anxiety at the thought of what America will "transform" into with an Obama presidency and a Democrat-controlled Congress -- no horror movie even comes close to provoking such sheer terror in my heart (and I mean that with all sincerity). I think not just of myself, but of my ten nieces and nephews, my siblings, my parents and my friends, contemplating what our future holds should the cult of personality that is Barack Obama become the leader of the free world.

Even after a great evening at a Halloween party last night, where I showed up dressed as Sarah Palin (to the delight of most people there), I woke up this morning still very apprehensive about what is about to take place in our beloved USA. Fortunately, I remembered today's scheduled walk, so I put on my red, white and blue and my McCain-Palin baseball cap, grabbed my signs and headed up to Yamato Rd. and Dixie Highway.

When I arrived, I was shocked to see such a huge turnout of like-minded Americans. There had to be over 100 people there, walking, waving signs and calling out slogans like "Country first!" to all of the passing cars. To my additional surprise, the vast majority of motorists honked and waved their support enthusiastically, though we did encounter a stray Obama supporter (typically driving by in a Lincoln SUV, Mercedes or other high-end vehicle) every now and then.

During the event I struck up a great rapport with a nice couple, who graciously joined me in conversation as we actively showed our support up and down Federal Highway. The woman, a Cuban-American who escaped Fidel's clutches as a young child, understood the stakes of this election all too well. We discussed our shared conservatism, love of the USA, the idiocy of the Obama robots, the corrupt media and even the fantastic film, The Lost City. She told me she actually cried during the scene in the movie when Communist thugs confiscated Andy Garcia's pocket-watch, a legacy from his grandfather, along with every other material possession. The same horrific things had happened to relatives of hers.

Anyway, I came away from the event feeling re-energized and believing that common sense will prevail on Tuesday and that Americans treasure their freedom way too much to sacrifice it on the altar of empty suits and promises.
May God continue to bless America and may we wake up on Wednesday morning knowing that we've elected two patriots to the highest offices in the land. Go McCain-Palin!
One final thought: I took the above photos after the walk, so though it may not look like there were a lot of people in attendance, truly there were. I couldn't take photos as I was too busy waving my McCain sign, and thus waited until the end.

No comments: