Sunday, March 22, 2009

"The Choice: A One-Act Play"

Bill Willingham, writer for Big Hollywood, one of my favorite new blogs, hits it out of the park with this powerful and poignant piece exposing the irrationality and brutality of the legally accepted practice of partial-birth abortion. He also makes an excellent case for federalism. Featuring a nearly full-term baby and his would-be rescuer conversing "in a warm, dark place," the post is well worth the time and effort to click over and read in its entirety. Here's a snippet to pique your interest:

Possible: So I’m in danger, but of what? You said it had something to do with philosophy? I have to confess, I’m a bit confused.

Patronus: According to the culture in which you’re about to be born, assuming our efforts to insure your birth are successful, you aren’t yet a human being. You aren’t a person.

Possible: Are you kidding me? If I’m not a person, what am I?

Patronus: By definition of law, aided by a truly insidious twisting of language, you’re currently nothing more than a bit of extraneous and non-viable biological material.

Possible: Nonsense. I already have every evidence of personhood. I have thoughts and feelings. I have hopes and dreams. I’ve experienced joys and sorrows.

Patronus: None of which matters, according to the law.

Possible: I don’t believe that. Who could possibly believe that I’m not yet a real person?

Patronus: Well, that’s one of the truly frustrating aspects of this struggle, because no one does believe that — not your mother, or father, or the legal and medical people who’re determined to define away your humanity. Even the powerful social-political organizations created to bring about your destruction, without legal or social consequences, don’t actually believe you’re nothing more than a lump of waste tissue. But that’s what they need to claim. That’s the fiction they need to perpetuate in order to justify their overall agenda in general, and the all-too specific actions they may be contemplating where you’re concerned. Oddly enough, the more tenuous the agreed-upon fiction, the more desperate and vicious its proponents become in not allowing any reasonable examination of it.

Possible: That may describe those with an agenda to perpetuate. Some people just turn out bad and broken. But I can’t believe people as a whole could be so cynical. How could a wise and educated society possibly vote for such an obvious sham?

Patronus: I’ll let you know, should people as a whole ever get the chance to vote on it. This is a condition almost entirely imposed by the courts. On those rare occasions when people do insist on voting on some aspect of it, the results are routinely overturned by judicial fiat.

Possible: And the people just accept that?

Patronus: Not all of them do. Some are working hard to restore a better world, starting with a more rational and obvious definition of life and when it begins.


No comments: